New College Lanarkshire
Social Studies, Technologies
September 2023 to June 2024
Delivery time negotiable with first schools to sign up. Signups close in September.
|Number of Sessions:
30 learners from multiple schools
We’re really excited to be able to offer this college course provided by New College Lanarkshire via DYW Live and delivered directly learners into schools via Teams Glow.
By registering for this course you will be added to the team to discuss logistics and requirements for the course with our NCL partners.
Unlike many of our DYW Live sessions, Teachers need not participate, learners will be added to the team directly to participate in the sessions.
The time for delivery will be agreed on a first come first served basis with additional learners (within capacity) welcome to also join if the timings work for them.
Requirements for the learner:
- The learner will need to enrol in the college. All participating learners will be sent a link to complete this.
- The Wonders of AI & the Cloud requires the learner to have six periods available in their timetable to commit for the year (This is a Higher level course)
- They will require an individual device to work on for the sessions that has a working webcam and microphone to fully engage.
- A suitable, quiet, and distraction free location where they can participate in the lessons.
- A positive attitude towards learning and active engagement in the remote delivery.
Requirements for the school:
- A teacher key contact for the learners needs to be identified. They will be added to the Team so they have oversight, will be kept informed of learner progress and facilitate any in-school support required
- Invigilation by a teacher in the classroom will be required while assessments/exams are occurring. There will also be remote invigilation from the college.
- It is strongly recommended learners complete their enrolment with a teacher present in the room to support any difficulties
The Wonder of AI & the Cloud course includes the following Microsoft Certification exams:
Microsoft Azure Artificial Intelligence Fundamentals
- Describe Artificial Intelligence workloads and considerations (20–25%)
- Describe fundamental principles of machine learning on Azure (25–30%)
- Describe features of computer vision workloads on Azure (15–20%)
- Describe features of Natural Language Processing (NLP) workloads on Azure (25–30%)
Microsoft Azure Fundamentals
- Describe cloud concepts (25–30%)
- Describe Azure architecture and services (35–40%)
- Describe Azure management and governance (30–35%)
Azure Data Fundamentals:
- Describe core data concepts (25-30%)
- Identify considerations for relational data on Azure (20-25%)
- Describe considerations for working with non-relational data on Azure (15-20%)
- Describe an analytics workload on Azure (25-30%)
Microsoft Office Specialist – Excel 2019:
- Manage worksheets and workbooks (10-15%)
- Manage data cells and ranges (20-25%)
- Manage tables and table data (15-20%)
- Perform operations by using formulas and functions (20-25%)
- Manage charts (20-25%)
On successful completion students will gain 4 highly valued international gold standard Microsoft Certifications as well as an SCQF Level 6 award.
The speed at which the world is changing makes it difficult to predict exactly what skills workers will require in the next five to ten years, let alone over the span of their professional life. What is certain though, is that the list of capabilities demanded by employers is growing – particularly when it comes to the level of digital expertise expected of graduates joining the workforce.
In the past, leaving university or college with a good qualification in their chosen subject was enough to put many students on the path to career success. Now this is just the beginning. No matter what the job or sector, employers increasingly expect graduates to arrive equipped with the digital capabilities necessary to thrive in modern working environments.
The more graduates have a sound working knowledge of AI, data management and the Cloud, the more attractive they are to potential employers. Recent research has revealed that employers are placing more importance on tech skills and IT certifications than ever before but that 80% of those companies feel that graduates are not yet ready to work, and 68% of students don’t understand what skills they need to get there. (Microsoft’s Degree+ Digital whitepaper).
That’s why Scotland is integrating Microsoft’s globally recognised certifications into an exciting new qualification: The Wonder of AI & the Cloud - to give Scotland’s students the head start they need to excel.
Webcam, broadband connection and computer required, for certification exams, a local invigilator would be required (though we would formally invigilate remotely)
Why should a student undertake this course?
It'll make you stand out
- While digital skills are a great start, you also need skills in data, AI and cloud technologies to make the most of every opportunity.
It’ll make you gain confidence
- Certifications enhance credibility and they’ll give you the professional advantage of globally recognised industry-endorsed skills.
It’ll build your foundation for success
- Certifications help you get your career off to the right start and prove you have the skills you need to succeed.
It’ll benefit your career
- Highly skilled candidates often obtain higher salaries, more rapid job advancements and more job opportunities.
How DYW Live Works?:
Check out our FAQ on the DYW page here.
Mailing List Sign-up
To sign up to regular news and updates from e-Sgoil, please join our mailing list using the sign-up button below.Sign Up